Thursday, February 12, 2009

Review: Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Mascara

I'm always on the prowl for new, potentially awesome mascaras. I'm particularly into cheap-o drugstore finds since it's recommended that you throw your mascara away about every three months or so (otherwise you risk an icky eye infection, ew). After going through the pain of chucking my $24 tube of DiorShow, I decided - no more! Affordable mascaras from here on out. So naturally, I couldn't resist the $8 tube of Maybelline's Colossal Volum' Express mascara in Glam Black when I was in my friendly neighborhood CVS the other day.

The first thing that caught my attention was the bright yellow and purple packaging. It's so cheery! The big fat tube is appealing too - it makes me envision my soon-to-be big fat lashes!

So here's the low down:

PROS


- Big fluffy brush gets even the tiniest lashes.

- The length this stuff provides is pretty phenomenal.

- The formula (it has collagen in it!) goes on very smoothly. The brush sort of glided over my lashes with no pulling or tugging.

- I can distribute mascara to my tiny lower lashes without looking like a racoon. Major plus! (Usually I have to awkwardly maneuver the brush to avoid hitting my skin.)

CONS

- The first thing that struck me after opening the tube was a strange smell. It seems to have dissipated after a day or so, but man, that first application nearly knocked me on my feet.

- Sadly, like most cheaper mascaras, this one had a bit of flake-age after only a few hours. Nothing I can't handle (I've seen worse) but it's not ideal either.

FINAL VERDICT: Give it a try. It's not the best, but it's certainly not the worst. I think I would buy this again before I buy another $24 tube of mascara I'll just have to throw away in a few months. As of right now, however, the best drugstore mascara I've been able to find is Maybelline's Full 'N Soft!

No comments:

Post a Comment